Saturday, March 20, 2010

Wanna dance?

I had an email this morning from the local community theater. It was from the Technical Director letting me know there was need of additional volunteers for the next musical production opening next weekend. He needed five additional lighting and stage crew members.
I had worked spot light for a production for him a couple of years ago. Before that I had been thoroughly involved in theater for a long span of time over 30 years ago. I had gone back a few years ago because I had committed to myself that I would in some way, shape, or form to do it again. I tried to make it happen by contacting the local theater and talking to a few people. Months later, when I had given up, I was called and asked to help out. I went back to the theater after 30 plus years and was able to be a part of that production. I even have the T-shirt with my name listed on the back with all the other cast and crew…like a real roadie or something…I never wear the t-shirt.
So here was this email asking me to go back again. I was excited. It has always been something I have enjoyed doing. Here was an opportunity presenting itself.
But then I wasn’t sure. I would need to be there from 11am to 11pm tomorrow then every evening next week after work through opening weekend. Then I would need to be there every weekend in April. I wasn’t sure. Tomorrow…
I decided to go run and see if I felt any differently afterward.
I did. I ran and I decided not to take this opportunity the way it was presented at this time. I was beginning to feel a little like a last minute date. The kind of date where the guy had someone else lined up but she fell through and you’re just kinda there last on the list but - oh well, better than not going to the dance at all. The thing about those kinds of things is that I really would like to go to the dance - but tomorrow? I am really that far down on your list? I couldn’t have been called earlier?
The facts are that I am really trying to fit in a lot of things with the personal time I have now. Do I want to give up writing time? Running time? Reading, cooking and fit the rest of it in time?
No. I decided I am not giving any of that up. Not for a last minute date.
I’ll find another dance sometime if I decide I really want to go.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT