Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Additional research

I am a little amazed I wasn't completely overwhelmed with work yesterday. Maybe this whole take a vacation every now and again is really a good concept. I might have to give it further investigation.
I had not given it too much thought but I would have expected to be a little more frenzied than I actually was upon returning to work. What I know is that I had over 400 emails in the five days I was gone and 52 missed phone calls. What is that all about!? Okay, there was a good portion of emails that were confirmations of work already done and announcements of occurrences that had already transpired. Those were dispelled rather quickly and reduced the large numbers. I didn't even attempt to go through the missed phone calls. I had my phone set up to give the message I would be out so hopefully no one is expecting a call back. At least no one left me a message that sounded like a call needed to be returned.
It did take me a good four hours to get through the work from last week and whittle down the emails to a manageable number. I had a perfect opportunity to get stressed by knowing my boss’s boss would be coming into town today but I had gotten her agenda prepared the week before I left for vacation. There were only a few minor adjustments to make while she was traveling yesterday and it should all be in order when she arrives this morning.
It wasn't too bad. I wasn't expecting the world to stop while I was out but I was expecting it to have more of an effect on me trying to play catch-up. It didn't. Not at all.
I was able to work through my priorities, get my tasks in order and all without the least bit of push from others and (this you won't believe) from myself!
So maybe there is something to this taking time off thing I never "got" before. Somehow it finally worked. It proved to work the way I've heard it should but never let myself experience.
I did so well this time around that I think I will definitely need to do more research on this time-off concept. It's not like I don't have the hours in my vacation bank. I think another week or so of research of this type is something I really might need to consider.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT