Thursday, March 18, 2010

Don't leave home without 'em

Where are my index cards!?! Where are my index cards?!!
The panic level was rising up like a tidal wave, growing, gathering more strength, getting higher, and rolling closer to the shore. I was digging out compartments in my oversized bag that were never there before. I scrounged, and rooted and looked. I didn’t bring my index cards!
How could I have left the house without my index cards?! No, No. You don’t understand. No, you really don’t understand. My fingers started to tremble; my eyes were flicking back and forth. My mind was tumbling over itself. What to do, what to do…think! Stop and think!
I AM thinking. I can’t stop these ideas and where are my index cards!! I have to get them down. No, No…you don’t get it…they will be gone, gone! The ideas won’t stay. I have to write them down on index cards!
I grabbed the purse again. I am taking everything out, everything. Big things first, get them out of the way, now the small things. Push them around, maneuver them over each other. NO! Not a single index card. Shove everything back into the bag and put it down. Not that hard. Now wait.
Is anyone watching this?
Quick, calmly.  I know I need to sit still and pretend to be normal. Pretend, already. No one has any idea what I was looking for. It might be obvious I was looking for something but no one knows what it is.
So fine, that’s better. I will go about doing something else to ease the tension-charged moment into a synthetically natural ambiance. Nice, good job. I had everyone fooled.
Great. Except what was that idea? Blast!
I can’t believe I left without my index cards!

Wait, wait a minute.  Where's my cell phone?
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT