Wednesday, March 10, 2010

That man

A few nights ago I was trying to come up with a topic. My mind was sorting through ideas, pulling this one out and discarding it, then pulling another. Then I thought about my recent entries and I had gotten some varied responses from my post Which man from March 4th, http://tessatoday.blogspot.com/2010/03/which-man.html.
I thought…what if I take that piece and write it again? This blog has always been a tool to help me write, so what better way to try to challenge myself? I thought it might be a good way to push myself creatively.
I gave it a go…
-----------------------------------
I got through the airport security without any delays and found I had arrived earlier than the guys I would be traveling with. I found an empty seat and dropped my overstuffed carry-on beside me. I probably packed too much for this short presentation. I wanted to be sure I had all my information available if I needed it.  It was the only thing I had been able to think about for the last two weeks. I was glad I had at least remembered to pick up the dry cleaning or I would have been without my best dark slacks. This was an important presentation and if the client was happy it would mean more than just a great return trip home.
It had been rough working all those extra hours.  My entire routine had been thrown off.   But I wasn’t the only one that had put in the overtime. The team had worked really hard. I still would have liked to have gotten that one last item included but we had to keep within our time frame. I could have pitched all night but there was no way I could convince the rest of them how it would fit.  They didn't see it and wanted to stay more conservative on time. 
But where were they? The gate seating area was beginning to fill up. I reached over into my case to retrieve my glasses. I wanted to scan over the file again.
I looked up and the rest of the team were arriving and had found chairs along the other side. I got up and walked over to join them. That’s when I felt that stiff muscle in my leg. It was just another annoyance but I should have known better than to try such a hard workout after missing two weeks because of the presentation.  I could try to tell myself it was the workout and not my age that was becoming more apparent by the stiff muscle and the grey beginning to appear in my hair.  Sure, why not? 
I was greeted by the group and sat again to pull that file. I wanted to look at that last piece of information one more time before boarding. I made a few notes on my legal pad but was pulled into the conversation and finally put them aside. I sat back for the few remaining minutes and all the chairs in the area had been filled.
It was going to be a packed flight this morning.  I'd be glad when this was over with.
-------------------
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT