Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Dinner Saturday night

This is what I fixed for dinner last Saturday night. It looks good doesn't it? It is a grilled Pork chop marinated in garlic and rosemary. It is accompanied with sautéed Broccoli with Red Onion and Buttered Boiled Potatoes with fresh Flat-Leaf Parsley. That's what it is and it tasted as good as it looked.
Now that you've seen the picture and read the description here is the reality. It is a too thin pork chop with a large broccoli crown and potatoes I bought last week. I wasn't starting out to make something that looked and photographed so well but that's what it really is.
Saturday got away from me and it must have been 4:30 or so when I realized I hadn't taken anything out of the freezer for dinner. I don't particularly like to do my grocery shopping on the weekends due to the horrific crowds. I only go early in the morning but it was late. I decided to brave the store and pick up what I needed for a quick meal.
I looked over the meat aisle and pork chops seemed a good choice. I thought the chops were thin but it wasn't any special meal so I didn't ask the butcher to cut me thicker chops. I knew I already had some potatoes so I checked the produce to see if anything else looked good. The asparagus was priced a little high. I thought the leeks looked good but then decided to keep it really simple and just get a really large broccoli crown. I picked up a few other things but I pretty much had dinner and went to check out.
I could say I waited in line and picked the aisle where someone had to call the manager over for the person in front of me and wait. But no, that wasn't the case. If anything I was the one confusing the cashier by picking produce that no one else seems to buy.
"Are these beets or turnips?"
"Turnips...beets are red and stain your fingers."
I am not sure why I think I need to educate the cashiers.
"What are these small brown mushrooms?"
"Cremini...baby portabella."
There is always a bit of a wait behind me in line since the cashier has to pull her code book and look up how to enter the craziness I buy (and eat).
So then finally back at home I realized I had plenty of time to cook before Jay got there so I decided to marinate the pork chops. I pulled out the basics like salt and pepper, minced up some garlic...oh…and rosemary is growing like crazy outside...and Italian parsley is doing well.
I had time so I pulled out the camera and started documenting.
I still had lots of time so I started to prep the vegetables and got ideas as I went along.
I pulled out my grill pan thinking the cross-hatch marks would do well on the chops. The pan works great but since my tiny kitchen is located underneath an upstairs bedroom, I have no exhaust over my stove just a fan. All that does is blow smoke around.
I had two chops on the grill pan when Jay walked in and immediately opened both front and back doors. It seems I managed to smoke up the entire kitchen and living room and he was creating a cross breeze to air out the house. You can't tell that from the picture can you?
I guess it doesn't really matter. It didn't hurt the meal or my enjoyment in making it. So a little fresh air is good for you right? As it turns out...so is a really simple, good meal.
And a glass of wine doesn’t hurt.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT