Saturday, March 6, 2010

Hot air

Unlike most females I have never been crazy about the idea of spa treatments. I don’t have my nails done and pedicures are out of the question. I happen to enjoy running as my primary aerobic exercise so my calluses are my merit badges and I need them to protect my feet. Don’t come near me with anything that will smooth them away or I will be hurting on my next run big time.
It was with this poor attitude that I resolved to have a massage while on vacation out of the country. An appointment was made and I was told to arrive 30 minutes early to take advantage of the sauna.
Okay, I have already admitted to being a novice to this situation but I was willing to give it a try and go with all it had to offer. The language barrier might have contributed to some of the misunderstanding but at the time I was doing what I thought I had been told.
I arrived for my appointment and was taken back to change and throw an extra large towel around me. The attendant instructed me to sit in the sauna, shower, and then use the steam room. Okay, I thought, that is simple enough but I asked her how would I know when to change rooms? She didn’t hesitate to tell me that she would come get me.
Oh, good. No problem then. I wasn’t exactly wearing a watch and she never offered a time frame. She would come get me.
I stepped into the sauna and was immediately pummeled by the intensity of the saturating heat. I gingerly sat on the marble bench. Ouch! That is what the large towel is for! You have to sit on part of it or burn your butt. Whew! It was hot!
I was able to position myself to sit on the bench and lean back with my feet up in front of me. Not too bad and I was immediately drenched. I sat for a while and another woman came in and sat. She got up after a few minutes and indicated she couldn’t take it any longer and left.
I should have taken the clue. I heard the jets come on again to fill the room with even more hot steam. I sat. It felt good but it was beginning to feel weird gulping down hot air. My towel was damp, my hair had gone soggy and I was a dripping mess. I closed my eyes and sat a little longer. She would come get me.
I don’t know how long I sat. As I said I wasn’t wearing a watch but she finally came and got me. I asked if I should shower and go into the steam room and a flustered look crossed her face and she shook her head. “No, it’s time for your massage.”
So…then…okay…I shakily made my way to shower and then put on the robe they gave me. My head only began to clear when the massage started and I have to admit everything went well from there.
I said I was a novice to this. I was just following instructions. I don’t know exactly how long I actually spent in the sauna but it seems I now hold the record for the most overcooked American at an International Spa.
What can I say? Are you supposed to lose weight on vacation?
I don't know.  I always was an overachiever.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT