Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Are you listening

I got my Velcro pouch delivered yesterday afternoon. You know if you read my post Another toy what I am referring to. If you didn’t read it then I will say briefly that I got a small pouch that fits on a running shoe that holds a sensor. It is a device that works with my iPod while I run and stores information. When I sync my iPod to iTunes, it not only keeps some information history on my iPod but sends it to a website that holds my data. I can go there to see how far I ran, how fast, how many calories burned, and my pace. It stores all workouts and also gives me a chance to set up goals and do virtual challenges. (I couldn’t resist and signed up for a St Patrick’s day challenge which started 3/8 and ends 3/17. You have to clock 10 miles during that time.)
I explained all of this to Jay during a conversation last Saturday night. I had a feeling he wasn’t listening. When I asked him if he heard what I was saying, he admitted to have been thinking about the homemade fries I was making.
“You were thinking about the potatoes?”
“Yeah, I’m really looking forward to them.”
Okay, it’s not the first time he doesn’t listen but I told him I hoped I would get my Velcro pouch delivered soon. He didn’t have a clue what I was talking about.
He called me yesterday and said I had gotten the package. He said I had gotten this really, really small backpack delivered. I asked him…
“You have no idea why I ordered that, do you?”
“It’s really small.”
“It goes on my shoe.”
“I knew it had something to do with your shoe! He exclaimed. Why didn’t you get one for all your shoes?”
“You didn’t hear a word I said when I told you about this, did you?”
“I was distracted.”
“Well, now you’ve missed your opportunity.”
“I missed an opportunity?! Would I have won a prize?”
“A prize? Like in a cracker jack package?”
“No, it wouldn’t be worth a cracker jack prize.”
“You really have no idea what I told you.”
“I don’t know what you can fit in there. It’s too small for anything.”
“That’s okay. I’ll take it from here.”
“You’re not going to tell me?”
“No. Why would I do that when don’t listen to me anyway.”
“Did you just say something?"

Stop, pause, grin.
It goes like that. Neither one of us get’s very perturbed about it. I know there are times I talk and he doesn’t listen. It didn’t take anything away from what I got. He doesn’t make a fuss about anything I get and it doesn’t bother him if he doesn’t know why I bought it.
So I’ll keep running and he won’t mind. I guess when I’m out running he knows he hasn’t missed anything I’ve said. Or maybe, to be more accurate, I know he hasn't missed anything.

TT

1 comments:

Alejandro Jorge said...

You should get a head sweatband, put it on Jay's head and attach this contraption. Let's see how fast his brain is running (or not running) and set some goals for him.

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT