Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A little fun

I came across this article at the best of times.  I knew it was going to have pointers on runners etiquette before, during, and after a race and it did!  It wasn't until I got toward the end of the article that it took on the tone that I realized I am striving to keep as I approach my race date.  That particular tone and attitude is what I am continually focusing on.  It is that I am going to have fun doing this!
These portions of the article made me smile and giggle a little.  It reminds me that even when I am taking all my training and all my runs seriously that I do have to remember how much fun it can be.  I have been fairly successful so far.  I know my nerves may take a turn as the date approaches but it might have a bit of a fight on it's hand if it thinks it will be successful in trying to change my mind.

As an aside, I have to mention that when I read through and signed the general release agreement for my upcoming race in November, I had to stop a moment to acknowledge the fact that I was being referred to as "athlete".  Yeah, me.  "The undersigned athlete....athlete represents and warrants...athlete has read the foregoing..."
Me...the athlete (just trying to have fun).  Now you have some fun reading these short portions of the article...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Portion of The Racer's Field Manual by Mark Remy

Spectator's Guide
So, You're Here Because You Like to Watch?
The best way to get motivated to sign up for a race is to cheer on other runners.

DO Applaud vigorously.
DON'T Applaud in that weak, single clap...pause...single clap...pause...way. It sounds sarcastic!

DO Hold up signs written in BIG, bold, clear letters.
DON'T Hold up signs written on white poster board with blue ballpoint pen. In elegant cursive.

DO Use short, funny slogans on your sign, such as "Run Like Snot!"
DON'T Use slogans that are so long no runner could possibly read them as they pass, such as "Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."

DO Tell runners that they're looking great.
DON'T Tell runners that the winner finished an hour ago.

Read Body Language At the Finish Line
The Raised Fist
A single raised fist signifies triumph.

The Upraised-Holding-Hands with Running Partner
They did it! Together! Nothing can stop them! They just might continue holding hands back to their hotel! Yay!

The Low-Key High Five with Race Official
A classy, understated acknowledgment of the organizers. Nice touch.

The Look of Utter Shock
The expression on her face? "HOLY &$%#! I AM FINISHING A RACE!"

The Look of Utter Exhaustion
His body language says, "I am about to collapse like a stringless marionette." His face says exactly the same thing.

The Kneeling Ground-Kiss
This one is usually reserved for the winner—or anyone who enjoys asphalt.

The Multiple Backflip
This person conserved a little too much energy during the race.

Give an Appropriate Postrace Hug
For how long may you embrace someone after you've finished a race, without things getting weird?  The baseline duration to start is: 3 seconds
If the hugger personally knows the huggee: +2 seconds
If the hugger and the huggee are strangers: -1 second
If both parties are sweaty: +1 second
If the hugger is male and the huggee is female: -1 second
If the hugger is female and the huggee is male: +1 second
If the hugger and the huggee are a couple: +3 to 5 seconds
If the hugger and the huggee are a couple, but their spouses are nearby: -2.5 seconds

Personally, after any run, I am so gross, wet, and sweaty - hugging is the last thing on my mind!
TT
--------------------------------------
If you are interested, here is the entire article:
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--13687-1-1X2X3X4-5,00.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aaaww, i was going to ask you for one BIG hug! lol

If both parties are sweaty: +1 second

Nancy

Chetta said...

I guess I need to check the plus/minus chart again. I DO love big hugs!

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT