Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Keep it real

If my Monday after work was busy than I'm not sure what yesterday after work was.  It must of been the next higher step in busy.  It isn't often that will happen two days in a row where I have so much going on after getting home from work.  But I was able to come home, sit at my desk for a most welcoming few minutes, and then whisked myself off to cookie world where it didn't end until well after 9:00pm.  That is late by my standards when I haven't taken a single break except for the short time at my desk.
Yesterday started off with a number of e-mails exchanged by me and my agent (my younger son, Dante, that is).  He was off and running with a list of things he needed from me to get started on this cookie business.  A list of six cookies with descriptions of each..twitter style...meaning 140 characters only.  We have to know how many cookies fit in different size tins...cost of tins, cost of cookie ingredients, pricing for each.  He had a rough draft of an order form and we needed to create a menu of sorts with those cookie descriptions.
The e-mails went to and fro until it got to the point I couldn't do any more until after work.  So after I was able to get away from my few short (but lovely) minutes at my desk I went and made a test batch of cookies.  I amazed myself how quickly I was able to get them mixed up.  I obviously know this recipe quite well.  It made the exact number I had expected.  Now the tin test...how many fit?  I had never counted them before.  It was just a matter of filling the tin and counting the cookies.  Then I went to order tins and got stuck.  I called Dante.  He was on his way home but instead came over.  I pulled my laptop from my desk and set up in the kitchen.  We created a label.  We figured the cost of packaging.  We tried to get as close to a cookie cost as possible.  We ordered tins.  We filled a trial cello of a bakers dozen.  We searched other cookie sites to compare retail pricing.  We came up with a number. I realized the time was almost 8:00pm.  I hadn't even thought about or started dinner!
So we tried to wrap up but it took a little longer - doesn't it always?  I don't know where the time went.  It seemed we got a lot accomplished and even after he left, we were on the phone again shortly after again. 
It makes me smile.  Whatever the outcome will be fine with me.  I can't say there are any expectations one way or another, except that it has been exciting and fun...and real.  Dante thinks this go around will work and he said it well in the last e-mail he sent to me after all the questions.  He told me I had already done the hard part and developed the cookies - the rest were just details.
Nothing like keeping it real.  How cool is that?
TT   

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT