Saturday, July 23, 2011

Back to black

I was a block away from home in my car with the top down.  I had just gotten the maintenance done on it where I was able to sit and read during the time the dealership worked on it.  I had then stopped at the grocery store and was able to cross that activity off my list.  Normal, simple, everyday things I was planning on getting done were now out of the way.  Then one block away from home was when my cell phone buzzed.  I only gave it a short glance before setting it aside until I got home.  I knew I couldn't give it more notice until I stopped and with the top down and it being back lit I couldn't see it anyway.  All I saw in that instant was that it was from Selma and it stated...Bad news...
That sharp pang of fear went through me.  It rose from inside my chest and swelled.  I'm not prone to panic and will and have latched on to calm logic whenever this feeling has come over me in the past and I was able to take hold of it and pat it back down.  It didn't take long for me to pull into my drive and read the entire text.  It said..."Bad news about Winehouse...on the news."
Oh, it was about Amy Winehouse.  I figured the poor talented singer had another bad turn with her drug/alcohol troubles.  I brought my groceries inside and went to the laptop to search up the news.  I couldn't believe the actual news was that she was dead.  She was found in her London apartment.  Her father was on a flight and might not know.  I sent Selma a text..."I just checked...OMG didn't expect that at all!  This is terrible!"  Selma called me and we couldn't believe it.  We both had been waiting for her tour to continue and another album.  She was good, talented, yes, severe addictions, but this is so sad! 
I thought about the normal, simple things we do day to day.  I thought about a simple text from someone you care about saying bad news and how it can send a pang straight through you.  I thought about Amy's father on a flight unaware for who knows how long when the world already knows. 
Things can come out of the blue and rattle your normal, simple world at any time.  Selma did tell me if it was really something closer to home that it would never be a text I would receive.  I wonder how Amy's dad will get the news.  It's all so very sad.
TT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdqEWohQjvA&feature=related

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG and very saddened that Amy died was my immediate reaction. I know nothing about this person. Life is very short , live your dream.

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT