Thursday, December 2, 2010

Technical difficulties

A day ago I talked about not stopping progress.  I talked about packing my gym bag and how I wasn't going to let anything get in the way of me running the few miles it would take to move me on to the next color level of my running site.  I went out there and I ran alright.  I went out there and put in 6.12 miles to make sure it was enough to put me over the 5 mile mark I needed to pull me over from the green level to the blue.  I ran, I accomplished the 621 miles to get to the next level.  Then I ran into technical difficulties.
Ah, yes, technology isn't it grand.  I love all my gadgets and toys and computers and iPods and eReaders and qwerty keyboard phones.  They are all great.  They all have special places in my heart and handbag and desk and nightstand.  I don't know how I could get through my everyday life without my electronics.  I need my music, I need my books, my phone, my laptop, my...yes.  I have attachments to these things and they are a regular part of my daily routines.  What would I do without them?  I really miss them if I realize I have accidentally left one behind.  There are certain emotions that surface if I realize I don't have a device.  Now what?  Can I get through the day without a single bit of earbud music?  Will I find something to read at lunch?  I want it more when I don't have it.  It's not right.
So after my run I rushed to sync my sensor to the site and watch as it revealed the color change to blue.  Hooray!  I had achieved another accomplishment this year for the books.  I reached the fourth color level for this year!
The celebration was short lived.  I sync'd and I went to the site.  I was still green.  So I looked closer.  It didn't have my Tuesday, Nov 30 run - the 6.12 that was to put me over to the blue level.  Look.
Can you see this?  On the right hand side it has M 29 (Mon, Nov 29) but no T 30 (Tues, Nov 30).  OH NO! Don't tell me it lost my run!  It's done this before but oh, no, not now!  So I searched a little more and I filtered it for this weeks runs only.  Look.
 
      There...you see it?  Monday AND Tuesday 11/30 just hitting the 6 mile line.  But up above my level is still green!  Look.

Do you see this nonsense?!  The technology didn't record Tuesday in my total.  It recorded it.  It is there in my weekly total but oh no, not where it would count in the all runs total.  I was emotionally distressed.  I came home sweaty and spent after a six mile run.  I came home looking forward to sitting for a moment in all my blue glory and then and then.  Technology snatched it away from me!  The two-timing devil!  All the care and consideration I give it!  Come on now, man up, coward!  Flip this sucker over to blue! 
It was all the more distressing since I have appointments and won't be able to make the gym in the next few days.  Then, then it came to me.  Technology.  Hmmm.  What do I do?  What's the work around?  Will it work?
Why not give it a try...maybe it only needed a little push.

So I put on my shoe with my sensor.  I walked around the house for a mere 45 seconds and recorded the slight .01 piece of a mile.  I sync'd the "work-out" to my site.  What do you think happened? Look.

   TADA!
Isn't technology a wonderful thing! 
Now. 
Only 931 miles until I reach the next level.
TT

 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT