Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Amateur writer

I don't know what possessed me to scroll through some very old sent emails at work today.  It must have been the fact that I was incredibly caught up on my work and the same measure of being bored that led me to doing it.  I read through some old messages that gave me a smile but I mostly scrolled through many months of old work.  While I was flipping back through time I came across a note I had forwarded to myself from work to home.  It was dated 4/13/09 at 4:13pm which meant I was almost done with work for the day since I leave at 4:30.  More surprising to me was that it was just a few days within the time frame that I originally started this blog.  The note had a subject line of amateur writer and the body contained this:

The thoughts of an amateur writer who is struggling to get the correct words, in the correct order on a blank page.

An amateur writer who is trying to figure out what the correct words are and whether or not they belong on a blank page.

An amateur writer that sometimes over thinks the words put on a blank page and replaces them.
 
It seems I was trying to come up with the line in my header.  I completely dropped the amateur writer reference and you can almost hear my thought process and just being silly and playful with each line (or am I the only one that hears that)?  I don't think I was taking it too seriously but I was staying very close to being truthful.  None of the above was what I ended up with and the original read:   
My thoughts as I struggle to get words on a page - and fit life in along the way.

I won't argue that I do well with editing as I did for these sentences.  I found it a little exciting to see where my idea started and how I got it to where it is.  I have even made a subtle change again but finding these old sentences that led up to it from well over a year ago was interesting. 
Well, it was interesting to me.
TT
--------------------------------------------------
Update: 8/10/10 -7:23pm  - Oh blast!  I had a feeling I had used these sentences before and sure enough I found where I had already posted them.  http://tessatoday.blogspot.com/2009/06/oh-yeah-wait.html
It was 6/5/09 and after reading it I can say it was a much weaker post.  I even changed (edited myself yet again) some of the exact wording in the sentences, leaving out amateur writer...I guess I didn't want to think of myself as a writer at all back then.
So sorry to repeat myself - even if I did a better job now than back then.  That's what this tool of mine is all about so I guess that is working even if my memory isn't.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT