Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Talking to strangers

Last Saturday I had an air conditioning repairman come out to the house to have my cooling system fixed. He arrived and set out to doing what he was called to do. When he was finished with his work he came in to settle the bill. I was sitting at the kitchen table with my netbook and I invited him to sit while he wrote up the invoice. He noticed the tiny computer and asked me about it. He was interested in one for his wife. She didn't need anything fancy, he explained, just to use for her facebook and such. Hmm, yeah, well, I told him this little machine should work fine.
He went on to explain that he often went to Woot.com because of the awesome specials they offered. Now, I know about as much about Woot as I did the dual capacitor he had just replaced and I was paying him for. But somehow people always find it easy to talk to me and tell me things and he seemed to be no exception. He went on to say that Woot had one item on sale daily until it was sold out or until midnight whichever came first and then changed the item to something else and did it all again each day. He was really excited about it and after seeing my netbook he was revved up to get his wife one...for her facebook and such. Then he told me about a game he had gotten that at some point in the game he needed a quote or a clue out of Bram Stokers Dracula. It was the only book he had read on-line. He told me he read the entire book but never found the clue or quote or whatever he needed for his game, but he thought the book was good. It was even better than the movie! Imagine that.
I read books all the time and always think they are better than the movie. Well, that would be the movie's I actually go to see which aren't many. I would much rather read the book. Imagine that.
I'm not sure how I manage to get strangers to talk to me and tell me things they might not mention to other strangers. I had just met this air conditioning repairman and only talked to him for maybe 5-10 minutes tops. I found out that he is kind enough to be on the lookout for sales on a computer to purchase for his wife. He will do this even though she only might be using it for something as simple as facebook. He is also a gamer which also might explain the need for another computer for his wife but such a gamer that he read an entire book to find a clue he never found. What he found was that he enjoyed the book and that he thinks Woot is such a great place to make purchases he wanted to pass on the word. There are other things I found out about him like the fact that he has a Lab and his son is living with him temporarily right now and smokes.
I don't know why or how I find out so much about people. I don’t know why they are so willing to share so much with me. I guess I shouldn't question it but I'm just curious. Is this something that happens to everyone or is it just me? I don’t know.
Mom never warned me what to do when strangers talk to me. 
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT