Saturday, August 7, 2010

No A/C

I am sitting and waiting for an air conditioning repairman to show up.  Any outside activities I may have had lined up for this Saturday have been placed in a holding pattern and may never get a chance to land... or should that be to take flight?  I guess it would be more accurate to say they never took off.  Well, that would be if I were flying somewhere and that was never the case for today.  What was I saying?
Last night while I was getting dinner together I felt a hot blast of air coming from the air conditioning vent.  I have to mention that it has been a typically hot August and this week the temperatures have been at the three digit highs...like 102.  It doesn't make no never mind to me.  I happen to be one of those freaks of nature that prefers the incredibly hot weather.  I have spent many years trying to stay within a certain higher temperature range and avoided colder (for me colder can be 50 degrees-okay sometimes 55) like the Wicked Witch of the West avoided buckets of water.  But I knew something wasn't right with the A/C.  Why does it feel like the heater is on?  Uh-oh.
So things were checked within our limited expertise of air conditioning, like turning it on and off, and we knew it wasn't working.  I opened some windows for cross ventilation and found a box fan that Jay had in the storage shed.  It really wasn't all that bad as far as I was concerned except for the noise from the fan.
This morning I could tell Jay was getting stressed out about having to deal with this repair.  Luckily, he was going off to work and wouldn't have to be in the house without a working cooling system.  I told him not to worry.  We have managed to take care of worse things and when it's all fixed and done it won't mean a thing.  I think he liked the sentiment but wasn't wholly convinced.  I got a call from him after he arrived at work that a repairman should be arriving between 12:00 and 3:00 today.  Things were moving right along.  I wasn't going anywhere so I decided to... Oh, wait...look outside...I think he just arrived!
So it turns out we need to replace the dual capacitor.  OK, shrug, I have no clue what that means.  He thinks he has one on the truck.  I think, good...but it sounds like a really huge thing.  No, nope...it's a small silver cylinder item smaller than a soda can with three thingy-boppys on the top.  It's worth $220.00.  To Jay it's priceless and you will have to excuse me so I can call him now to let him know the temperature inside is slowing making a descent.  I will finally be able to take flight - well, after I change out of these clothes that are a little more than damp from the heat I have experienced indoors since last night.  You would think I had been doused with a bucket of water.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT