Monday, August 16, 2010

Cleaning out the fridge

We have eaten some unusual meals at times and sometimes things that don't necessarily seem like they might stand up in the culinary world have a satisfying taste and comfort to them.  Okay, let's just say we were trying to eat what we had in the fridge and Jay came up with this interesting take on a taco.  We had some really good salami and he decided instead of making sandwiches we would put it into a corn tortilla.  I'm game to trying just about anything.  I thought okay, but it has to be a good taco.  He went about making everything and came up with this really good avocado sauce.  He boiled some chopped onion and serrano peppers with a pinch of salt to cook and soften them.  He put the avocado into the blender with the peppers and onions using only a bit of the water.  He added some chopped cilantro and added a dash of oil to emulsify it and blended it all until it was creamy smooth.  Ummm.  He set out some queso fresco, lettuce and tomato to also be added to the tacos and the combination turned out to be really wonderful.
Who would have thought a salami taco would work with all those mexican ingredients, but it did.  I had to have more of that avocado sauce so I set out to make some chips from the corn tortillas to scoop it up.  It was even better with a sprinkling of the mild white cheese on top.  It was a great balance of cool texture to the mild heat of the sauce and crunch of the chip.  Did I say ummmm, already?

Of course, after that, something sweet was the proper order but the inexpensive one layer white cake mix I used crumbled terribly when I popped it out of it's pan.  Now what to do!
Think, think....I needed to keep with the mexican theme but still come up with something for dessert.  I had a ripe mango...and some half and half...and I chopped up some bittersweet chocolate.  How about a trifle of sorts...?

I peeled and sliced the mango and put it between layers of white cake pieces.  I whipped some half and half with a teaspoon of sugar and that also went inbetween.  The bittersweet chocolate shavings crowned the top.
Nothing like coming up with something to eat from what you already have in the house!
Not such a bad meal for just cleaning out the fridge.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT