Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Don't mention it

Should I mention my running or the lack there of?  I could go on quietly not saying a word about this beloved pastime of mine and I would be perfectly happy not mentioning it.  I would have not even thought about it until someone asked me, "Did you run this morning?"  Then another person asked, "How long did you run today?"  Maybe I was thinking about it but I certainly wasn't talking about it or bringing it up.  The people asking me must have sensed how much I am missing my running.  They seemed genuinely apologetic when I told them I have had to stop again.
I have not been running.  I cannot run.  I have re-damaged my torn achilles tendon on my right foot.  I thought it might take a week to heal but I knew at the end of last week it was going to take longer.  My foot was actually hurting on Thursday evening and all last Friday.  I know.  I am admitting it and even if it doesn't seem to be especially painful to me - others would consider this pain.  I was caught limping again and wanted to deny it but it won't make the foot heal any faster.  I don't even know how far behind I am in my training.  I won't let myself think about it.  I have signed up for a race in November and I don't have any idea what will happen on that front.  I won't let myself think about that either.
It's not the best thing for a runner not to be able to run.  I will wait it out.  It's got to heal sometime even if it takes longer than I would like, but it will heal eventually.  I should probably think of something else I could do.  I guess I need to go to the gym and cycle.  It was also suggested I swim or do weight training.  I should - I should do any or all of those things. Maybe I will but I haven't yet because I am trying to heal a damaged foot as quickly and quietly as I can.  I'll think about some cross training a little later.  I would like to hold out for running but I am also knowing it might be a longer wait than I'd like for that.
I knew I shouldn't have brought up my running.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT