Sunday, August 29, 2010

Thanks blog

I am using my quiet time now to forge ahead on my story.  I am in a good spot though to come back here and appreciate the work I have done.  It truly has pushed me ahead and hasn't been a waste of time.  I'm always afraid of wasting time whether it be my own or if I am taking someone else's.
I am not sure why I stopped to check the properties on my documents for my story when I got to a writing stopping point this morning.  I guess I know statistics are facts you can't really argue about too much and when the idea came into my head I thought why not check.  They are what they state and good for some good reality checks - at least for me when I have that temptation to wander down Doubt Street which forks into Underconfidence Lane.  I think I also knew it might prove that this blog is working the way I had intended.  I didn't know it would and I now have this concrete proof that it is.  I am not holding myself back from adding words to my pages by constantly going back to edit the few words I have written.  They don't have to be perfect before going on any further.  I will have time to go back and fix them once they are there.
But as far as the statistics, here is what I just found. 
I started my initial prologue to my story on 4/16/2008 at 7:13:00 pm.  It has 948 words and here is the kicker...51 revisions for 207 minutes since that time.
The chapter I last worked on was on 6/17/2010 (I know - lot's of lost time) at 7:09:00 am.  It has 2569 words and...wait for it...8 revisions for 92 minutes.
Let me see..51 revisions for 948 words...8 revisions for 2569 words.  Hmmm...something is working.  Could it possibly be the commitment to this blog actually might be working?
So in my mind the simple summary is:  more words, less revisions, and taking less time to complete.  Tell me this isn't my tool.  Tell me this crazy idea of tricking myself and making myself responsible for writing every day won't work.  I can try to tell myself that but then I have to just look at the statistics.  Then I have to take a moment to pause and appreciate the time I've spent on this blog and recognize it as not being wasted time and to actually have a value I wasn't sure it really had.
But now you will need to excuse me, please.  My main character is talking to her father right now and they want me in on the conversation.
TT
-----------------------------
I didn't realize until much later today (it's 8:06 pm now) that this is the 200th post this year.  It's not on line with one post a day since today is the 241th day of the year but since this is all about stats...well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT