Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday 13th

I didn't even realize today was Friday the 13th.  It is and my curiousity about it got the better of me.  I had to go out and do a quick search of where that came from.  I should probably do more research and find more information about why this combination of day and date is regarded as being so unlucky to satisfy my curiousity.  I only took a quick minute instead and found a small bit of info.
It seems the superstition wasn't documented until the 19th century and first appeared in the 1869 biography of Gioachino Rossini..."if it be true that, like so many other Italians, he regarded Friday as an unlucky day".
Well, I am Italian but not supersitious and never really thought Friday as unlucky.  I guess it might come from Italians being predominently Catholic and Jesus being crucified on a Friday?  It was said Rossini also died on a Friday but what are the odds, there are only seven days to choose from for dying or anything else for that matter.  There was also Black Friday.  I guess Friday can get a pretty bad rap although I usually look forward to it as the end of my work week. 
Then there is the number 13.  It seems 12 is the better number with: 12 months of the year, 12 signs of the zodiac, 12 apostles, 12 gods of Olympia, 12 movies in the Friday the 13th series.  So 13 is the oddball, I guess.  Someone thought so and started the snowball effect of combining it with Friday and making it bad.  They talked it up and said, see, see...it happened on Friday the 13th, that bad thing!  Then other people started to think the same thing and would point out the bad thing that happened to them or someone they knew on that day.  Wow...Okay...that part didn't come from any research...complete fantasy on my part but can you see it happening that way, can't you?  It's amazing the bad things you remember on certain days instead of good things that happen and keep those to remember.
So have a happy Friday the 13th!  Remember something good that happens today and talk about it.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT