Saturday, August 7, 2010

Wireless

I have come to the end of my two year contract for my wireless aircard.  I knew it was coming up to deadline and I was searching the opportunities that staying and renewing the contract might bring.  There was talk of getting a new 4G upgrade with no cost for the device.  They tried to make believe that the 4G might even be available in my area already.  I pondered and thought.  What would I do?  I wasn't sure.  I couldn't seem to make a decision.  I guess I must have mentioned it outloud at some point.
Jay stepped in and took care of the whole thing.  He found out the RoadRunner internet system that we currently use already had wireless service within our package.  He found out that we only needed to exchange the modem we were using for a wireless modem at no charge.  He not only found these things out but he did the leg work and exchanges and brought home a wireless modem that I was able to immediately log into with my laptop upstairs and the netbook that I have.
I was a little skeptical at first but I have come to find that the connection is so much better than what I had been paying for monthly for my aircard.  It's faster, doesn't drop the connection, and I can actually watch a video without frozen pictures, stop/start images, and recalibrations.  I was able to watch a cooking demo seamlessly!  I tried it just to see how it would work.  And I was able to watch this demo downstairs on my bed on my mini-acer!  I couldn't have done that with my aircard.  I can't believe I was throwing my money at that aircard with monthly charges and now I have better, more convenient service without any additional costs to me and I've eliminated a bill!  I am sitting upstairs right now conveniently using my laptop without having to skuutch it away from me and closer to my window to pick up a signal.  It's amazing the things I was doing to accomodate a service I was paying for that wasn't delivering!  But not now.  Jay went out, made all the right decisions and handed it to me.
I do realize I won't be as mobile and have the aircard outside of the house but I know I wasn't really using it that much that way anyway.  Besides, if I want to go out and hook up to write outside the house I can use the free wi-fi at Barnes & Noble.  I've already uninstalled the aircard from my laptop and I am delighting in how much quicker my poor laptop is operating already.  I know I am overly excited about all this but then...I get that way with my new gadgets.  It doesn't take much, does it?
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT