Tuesday, August 17, 2010

About time

I am going to ask you to try not to concentrate too hard on the fact that this post makes me sound crazy. Anyone who knows me realizes there is that certain percentage of insanity that is going to be shown by me at any given time and this is one of those times, so please...don't think about that part right now, it isn't the issue.
I have been hearing my fictional story characters trying to talk to me. I can’t help that they seem to be reaching out to me and I keep trying to ignore them. I’ve actually done a fairly good job of it. I don’t know whether that’s a good thing or not but I’ve ignored them up until this point. It sounds crazy, yes, but also sort of spooky. It’s like a piece from a bad horror movie where the main character hears things behind a door in the attic and doesn’t do anything about it. Then that main character keeps hearing these things and even though everyone in the audience knows they should never open that door and let the things behind it out, the main character does it anyway despite the telepathic wishes and warnings of those watching. Well, I don’t have an audience and even if I did I don’t know that they would be telepathically trying to get me to do this thing or the other. I don’t think they would have a care if I was hearing fictional characters talk to me unless I started answering them out loud, or maybe telepathically. I can assure you none of those things have been happening.
What has been happening is that the fictional story that I should be working on has been silenced and put aside for at least the last two months. I had been doing a consistent job of writing and I had completed a good 20,000 plus words. Then I stopped and had life things to deal with and I haven’t started back up again. That was when I realized I could hear these characters again. They were almost complaining very quietly. I had left them in these spots and I was supposed to take them somewhere and I just left them. They had things to do and knew they should be getting on with things and where was I and why hadn’t I come back to take them where they needed to go? I didn’t pay any attention to their nudging at first. I was able to block them out when I heard them start to whine. It has gotten harder lately. They aren’t actually whining. They are starting to make some pretty good points. I know where I left them and I know about the places they should be going. I didn’t intend to leave them but there were other things that needed to be taken care of. I didn’t realize they would start to search me out. It isn’t as easy to ignore them now but I am a little nervous about picking it up again. I am a little anxious about starting the story again where I left off but I don’t think it will be anywhere as bad as I might think. I think these fictional characters will actually be pretty relieved, if not a little miffed with me. I can imagine them getting up, looking at their watches, shaking their head and saying “about time!” I think they just want to get on with it.
The zany thing here, of course, is that there isn't any they.  It is me that needs to get on with it. 
Crazy, isn't it?
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT