Sunday, December 6, 2009

Laundry

It is one of those things that you need to do.  It isn't exciting or entertaining or fun.  It's a chore.  It is one of those things you are resigned to getting done but not especially something anyone wants to do.  Later, do it later until there isn't any choice but to do it.
I don't know when I broke through the chore mode on laundry.  Did I stop fighting the unbeatable?  Where and when did I cross the line from dreaded chore, to regular routine, to no big deal, to a way to unwind?
I can't answer that question.  I don't know when it happened.  No one else would even think of it but me.  Maybe it was a way of doing something without doing anything.  I mean, really, what am I doing when the machines are going through their cycles?  Not much really.  I could be doing anything to nothing.
"Hello?"
"What are you up to?"
Nervously, I mute the TV so they don't hear the ridiculous show I'm watching.  I should be doing something productive instead of lazing around.
"Laundry, I'm doing laundry."
or
"What did you do today."
"I did three loads of laundry." (and sat around thinking how I should have cleaned the refrigerator while the machines did the work).
But that's just me. 
Then late Sunday afternoon rolls around and I pull out the ironing board. I set it up in front of the TV in the bedroom and am mindlessly able to relax with a mindless activity and still feel like I've accomplished something without any real work.
Laundry.  
It is one of those things that you need to do.  

That is just the way I do it.
TT  

1 comments:

Joel said...

I like the picture; it shows exactly what's going on.

I listen to "Thistle and Shamrock", a Celtic music program on KSTX at 8:00 on Sunday evenings while I do my ironing.

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT