Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Daily call

You know about the daily check-in phone call with the person you share a household? Of course you do. You make a short call with no real reason because it’s what you always do. It’s that call when there might be a lull in your day and you want or need to fill it in with something that might take your mind away from the mundane. I don't think this is unique to me but everyone has that, yes, I'm busy at work, but what were you thinking about for dinner tonight, kind of conversation.
The hopes would be that it might turn more interesting.
I have these conversations with Jay. There is usually some talk of food for later, sometimes I touch base with some aspect of his business, and he makes sure I haven’t completely lost my mind while his back was turned. Well – I don’t know if he is actually checking up on that last item or not, but sometimes I get the impression he is just making sure.
He is always very concise. Jay doesn’t talk much. Lately when he has gotten to the end of these conversations and wants to hang up the phone he has started to say, “That’s all I have to report, Captain.”
It seemed slightly odd but I shrugged it off the first few times. It was a creative way of getting off the phone. I wasn’t sure where the Captain part came from, so the other day when he said it I tried to keep him on the phone and throw him off.  The conversation for him had wound itself down and he said,
“That’s all I have to report, Captain.”
“When did I get demoted?”
“What, from Captain?”
“Yes.”
“What rank were you before?”
“Admiral”
“Oh, you’re in the Navy?”
“Well, isn’t that Captain?”
“It could be Army – a General.”
“Well, what uniform would I look better in?”


“Cheerleader.”


Gads. Why didn’t I just let him hang up when he wanted to?
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT