Thursday, December 24, 2009

Capire- ca-pish?

Was I ranting about rushing yesterday? I didn't know the meaning of the word yesterday if I thought that was rushing. I am definitely going to have to square off and get my time management skills into play. I do have a few of those skills - the managing time ones - except I have a tendency to overbook myself and then scream at myself later for not getting it all done. Or the other side of that is I will get all or most of it done and pay the consequences later for exhausting myself.
I went over to Sonny’s house to decide on our menu for Christmas dinner. He thought it was a good idea to try the Feast of the Seven Fishes. This is an Italian menu traditionally served on Christmas Eve in order to keep it meatless for the holiday. The idea is to serve seven seafood courses to represent the 7 days it took to create the world or the seven sacraments; there is also another version with 11 to represent the 12 disciples minus Judas. Sonny was slightly concerned that we would do this on Christmas instead of the eve. I told him Italians can’t decide on the representation so we were probably okay on the day. We are not out to break anyone’s traditions just to challenge ourselves with a food spread.
And what an undertaking this will be! We love our seafood and we were able to come up with a menu of seven. I’ll post the menu but not until after we shop to make sure we can get all our ingredients. I will need to prepare the homemade ravioli prior and the…yes; this is where the time management comes in. I am not taking time from work although I get off at 2:30 today, but I’m supposed to fit in…before we go to Jay’s sister’s house…and I was supposed to…then it’s the day…and I need to bake…but first…and I didn’t plan but was asked…and I need to pick up… I was going to wear…the grill pan…don’t have time to sit…iron what?...didn’t you…now?
Now. Right now.
It all happens because we make it happen. I do it because I can and because I love it. The whole process, the whole thing, all the people and feelings it brings. All of the rants, the rush, the fitting it in and the even not always making it are parts of it. It is what we talk about later about the year we did this, or the year that was great or not...and it becomes our traditions and our stories.

Can I have a glass of wine? Maybe I do have time to sit. Somehow it just came to the top of my time management priority list. 
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT