Monday, December 14, 2009

No tree


I am not sure if this is good or bad, right or wrong or just a cleansing way of looking at my present day and following that thought.
We decided we didn't have to put up a tree this year. I had a niggling feeling I needed to acknowledge all the changes that have blown through my life in the past number of years.
Let me think but somehow there seems to have been a few major changes. The kids are not kids anymore but responsible, independent adults, parents are no longer living, family is miles away. I can’t begin to talk about friends because…
So there have been major changes and I have been progressively going through items that I no longer need or keep. I am not afraid to let go of items that have been handed down or given years ago that aren’t necessary or that me or Jay never really liked or doesn't like now.
We both agreed the tree wasn’t necessary. We thought we wanted to do it in another more simple way. So this is what we did.
In the same front corner of the living room where the tree would have gone we placed the poinsettias that we have every year. On the shelves I put the dated ornaments I have collected. If you could see the upper left hand corner of the picture closely the ornament would be dated 1978 and each year after side by side reading the same way you would these sentences until you got to the very bottom ornament on the lower right hand corner which is 2009. That’s a lot of ornaments, or more accurately, one for each year between those dates.
The white lights added the festive feel and I am not missing the tree. It seems to say the holidays without all the extra fuss and work.
And I thought the end result looked pretty good.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT