Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Nerd extraordinaire

I wear prescription contact lenses for distance. I have worn them many years and over those years the prescription has gotten stronger in order to correct the vision. This has caused me the small problem that if I am wearing my contact lenses for distance, it blurs my reading. If I take off my contact lenses to read, I can’t see past the end of my feet. Well, that would be if I was stretched out in bed reading. I don’t know why I’d need to see past my feet if I was standing. That would mean I would be looking down, right?

Anyway - in order for me to wear my contact lenses for distance and also read, I wear reading glasses. You know the ones…the cheap magnifiers that they sell everywhere now a-days. They actually come in some nice styles. I had a great pair that I wore everyday and liked very much. Being the inexpensive item there were, they wore out. They wore out even more quickly when I dropped them on the concrete floor at lunch and cracked the lens frame. I was able to keep wearing them but the right lens would pop out every now and again.
I knew I needed to replace them. I meant to go and replace them. I should have replaced them.

I was meeting with my boss in his office to go over my mid-year review. He was going over my accomplishments and letting me know all the details I had taken care of during this portion of the appraisal period. He was letting me know how I was able to keep on top of things and so on and then the lens popped out of my reading glasses. It fell on the paperwork and tried to spin there for a second. My boss stopped and expressed his concern that I would need to replace an expensive pair of prescription glasses. I grabbed the frames off and explained they were only reading glasses-magnifiers, but I was so embarrassed I started to stutter how they were already broken and I’d been meaning to go to Wal-Mart or Target to replace them but hadn’t done it yet…and blab, blab, what was I going on about?!?! I caught myself, stopped stammering and hid the frames and lens in my tight fist that I dropped down by my side furthest away from my boss.

Geez…what a great display of professionalism and competence on my part! I had admitted they were broken, yet I was still wearing them. If I was so good with the details wouldn’t this be one of the things to take care of right away? I should have considering the fact that if I didn’t have them to wear I couldn’t see, so then I wouldn’t be able to do my job? Was there any saving grace that I hadn’t actually taped them!?

You don’t think it will show up on the next review, do you? I can see it now. Needs to improve decision making (if your glasses are broken) and time management skills (find time to buy new ones)!

Cripes.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT