Sunday, September 27, 2009

Nothing wasted

This picture was not staged. I didn't pull out my notes and pages from my book and throw them carefully across my keyboard and desk stategically (so you couldn't read too much of what was written). This index card stays propped up in the box on my desk the way you see it. Posting it now so you could see it...well, it just seemed to fit.

It's another tool.

It is a reminder to me to stay on track. Stop rambling...do I have a point?

I have questioned myself quite a bit lately about this blog. I have felt like I needed to break it down. I wrote down these words when I asked myself what I was going for...what was I trying to accomplish?
  • Practice
  • Consistency
  • Discipline
  • Improvement
  • Enjoyment
  • Challenge

They aren't in any order of priority but just a list. It was another exercise to show myself I wasn't spinning my wheels or wasting time. If I were to run down the short list I would be able to check each one off. I have accomplished each item. These are items I hope to continually check off again and again. They are also things that could be applied to different things. I could apply it to my job or my running. Simple. I validated.

The tools are working. The blog, the index cards, the writing. I am not saying I wouldn’t like to be able to bounce some opinions around about improving my writing. I think I could benefit from hearing another voice besides my own. But that isn't something that can always happen and yet I haven’t given up. In the past at this point I would have written…I should give up. I don’t have anything else. This was as good as it will ever get and there is nothing else to do but move on to something else I can do better. Finished, done, don't look back.

But I haven’t and I don’t even feel that way for more than a few moments. Okay, I’m not delusional. Things don’t always go as well as I would like. I know that and that's when I question myself. The difference is I have kept plugging along. The difference is now I am not listening to myself discount me. The difference is I will find a way and hopefully sooner rather than later I will make another small break through and find all these wasted words lately got me to another, better point.

Did I say wasted? Strike that.

TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT