Friday, September 11, 2009

Rules of Writing, 2

Note: I would suggest to read Rules of Writing (7/9/09) first...then come back to this post...just a mild suggestion but up to you...

I was heading down that long, narrow, claustrophobic corridor again. I needed information and had to come here to find it. This time I would be ready for it. I pulled the door open and almost backed out before I realized I was at the right place and closed the door behind me. The small foyer had been outfitted with a small reception desk to the left of the high archway leading into the main room.

The dark-haired girl behind the desk had on an earpiece and held up one finger to indicate to me she was on the phone. I couldn’t help but hear her side of the conversation.
“Yes, you have reached the ROW office.”
“ROW office – Rules of Writing”
“Yes, that is correct.”
“One.” Pause
“Nine million point five.”
She paused, rolled her eyes then continued, “Yes.”
“No, I’m sorry. We don’t have the resources to fax you a list.”

I waited patiently as she completed the call. It wasn’t long before she had clicked off and was smiling at me and asking how she could help.

“I’m here to see Erik, I said and quickly added, or Nick – ah, the tall, thin, Nordic looking man?” I slowly lowered my right arm that somehow I had raised above my head to show height.
“Yes,” she said with wide eyes and an unreadable expression. “Go on in,” as she indicated the main room. I could hear her go about answering another call as I wandering through the archway.
“ROW office. How can I help you.” Her voice faded as I went deeper into the room.

This had also changed. The main area was now divided into smaller spaces but with an open floor plan by using the same archways as the main foyer. As I was perusing the modern furniture in the first space Erik made his way over to me. He took both my hands and folded them between his and moved us to sit in the chairs facing each other.
“How are you, Theresa?” he questioned.
“Good. I have another question.”
He released my hands and sat back in his chair, crossing his legs. “Mmm, yes.”
“I need to know how long a chapter is,” I ventured.
“A chapter.”
“Yes. I have a deadline to write one and I’m not sure how long it should be.”
He wiped his hand over his forehead back and forth then smiled at me. “It’s always good to see you.”
“Um, thanks, Erik, but can you help on the chapter length thing?”
He sighed, “Why, of course.”
I waited but he wasn’t saying anything.
“Erik,” I said.
“Yes, oh. Yes.”
“I’ve written everything I wanted to cover from my chapter outline and a bit more. I had scenes happen in different locations, I checked to see how the word count would translate into pages and it’s about 12. I pulled out the novel I have been reading and its first chapter was 12 pages but I’m not sure it’s the right stopping place,” I burbled.
Erik leaned forward with a smile and said, “It is always good to see you.”
“You said that already.”
“I did,” he stated.
“Yes. Now are you going to help me?”
“Yes.”
He paused again and stared at me.

“I’ve finished the first chapter, haven’t I? I said.
“Yes.”

I pursed my lips, fidgeted a moment and then got to my feet. Erik looked up at me with a confused look.
I shrugged. “Well, Erik, Nick, er…I waved my hand in the air…It’s always good to see you, too,” I said as I headed toward the door.

Then I stopped. I turned to face him as a smile that started from my very inside appeared on my face as I said, “Erik?
He looked up at me from his chair. It was then that it dawned on me that I had really finished the first chapter.

My hands went to my mouth, then down again so I could tell him through my excitement. “Thank you so much!”
He smiled back and said, "It's always a pleasure."

TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT