Saturday, February 25, 2012

Bad hair or not

I'm having issues with something as simple as my hair.  I made the decision a few years back to stop dying my hair to cover the grey.  I knew the chemicals were doing some serious damage to my already dry hair.  Let's face it, I spend a lot of time outdoors and the sun is my best friend.  I'm not stopping my meetings with my best friend no matter what everybody wants to throw at me for reasons I should stop.  So the dye added a multitude of drying effects to the mix.  Then the fact that the color of these artificial concoctions were no longer resembling anything you might actually see on this earth and that made me decide I would rather not deal with it any longer.  I would rather have healthy, shiny, and yes even grey, mixed with my dark hair than the unreal situation I was in.  I started the long and frustrating year and a half to completely grow it out.  I've had it this way for a few years now. 
I had comments from my son about my hair at the beginnings of that process.  He would ask when I was going to do something about my hair while it was growing out and I would respond I was doing something about it.  I don't have a problem being the entire 56 years I am.  I didn't have a problem when I decided to do this back then and I thought I was still okay with it.
Now, I've had two instances of people (males) suggesting that I color the grey.  They suggested I would look 10-15 years younger if I did.  They go on to say I already look much younger than my age and it would be a ...at that point I couldn't hear what they were blah, blah, going on about.  I'm usually a very good listener but I no longer heard what they were saying.  I started to think what had happened in the time I grew it out until now?  What changed, what was different to promote this sudden suggestion for change?  It really made me stop and think about it when I hadn't been.  I've always managed to make sure my hair is styled, especially since I let the grey show.  I decided way back when that if I was going to let it go grey it wasn't going to be messy and ragged.  I've kept that up.  So why then?  Why these suggestions?   
I decided it doesn't matter why.  If they want me to look 10-15 years younger I can't help them.  I really am as old as I am and it doesn't really look so bad.  I'm not sloppy, I'm not unkept, I already look younger than my age (I'm told), so what's the deal?  The deal is no deal.  Sorry guys.  I don't need to look younger just because you think I need to.
I live enough in my own fantasy world.  I don't need to do it with this.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT