Wednesday, February 15, 2012

0000000000000000000000000

I was furiously pounding away on my keyboard for a post I was working on. I had an idea that had taken hold and I was typing as fast as I could to get it all down before the momentum evaporated into fine mist the way it sometimes can. One moment it is clear and the next I'm wondering what I was trying to get across. This wasn't the case this time. I was well into the meat of my subject. I was progressing splendidly and had more than a few small paragraphs presenting my idea.
I stopped briefly to open my Nook to check on a precise quotation and set it to the side of my laptop. That is when my laptop took control of itself and wouldn't allow me to take it back. I had typed up a few words of a sentence and then it went crazy. All on it's own it was typing 000000000000 across the page. It wouldn't stop. It kept going. When it got to one end it started another. I would move the cursor to the start of the 00000000s and try to delete them but once I released the cursor it would zoom off again with more continuous rows of 000000000000s.
It was getting frantic. It was maniacal. It wouldn't stop and I couldn't get it to stop. I had that sinking feeling that the entire document was lost and there would be no way I could re-create it again to the way I had written it in the first place. I tried to start at the beginning to highlight so I could possibly copy and paste it to another document but as soon as I released the cursor the 000000s would start again. Now they were not only at the end of the last sentence I had written but interspersed everywhere within the document where I had attempted to rescue my work.
I finally gave up knowing it wasn't going to stop and just shut down the entire laptop...hoping...maybe...that the 000000000 craziness would have stopped and some portion of my post might have been auto saved.
While I was waiting for my laptop to re-start I picked up my nook and moved it over from the side of my laptop. Oh. There. Boy, do I feel dumb. There was the cause of the laptop gone crazy with 0000s. It wasn't anything I couldn't have prevented myself. It wasn't anything the laptop was doing to mess me up. It wasn't anything that couldn't have been avoided or at least stopped if I wasn't so focused on the laptop itself instead of what I was doing or had done.
I had put the Nook on top of my USB powered numeric keypad I had attached to my laptop, right on the spot where the 0 appears pushing it down by the weight of the Nook causing continuous 000s to type across my page without stopping.
Talk about feeling like a zero.









TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT