Friday, April 22, 2011

Soundtracks

Sonny got me into TRON: Legacy R3Reconfigur3d.  Oh, not the movie.  I haven't seen the movie unless you are talking about the original.  I saw that one.  But I haven't seen a movie since...um...oh, the remake of True Grit.  The one with Jeff Bridges...right.  Same guy that was in TRON...both.  But no, I didn't see it.  Sonny got me into the soundtrack from the new movie.  I have it on my iPod now.
I liked it when I listened to it.  I'm not so much into the podcasts you can download for running.  All the faux beeps and beats got really boring.  I was a little afraid the soundtrack would be a little too synthesized for my taste but I guess it helps to have a movie budget behind you.  This is pretty good.  It is very well done.  You can hear the bouncing fade up increasing to the heights then leveled off by the deep marching base and hold and repeat of the first track Derezzed (remixed by the Glitch Mob)
So I thought with all my running problems and since I was off from work I would give it a try on a run.  I was right.  That first track started me off very clean, well paced.
I was going along, was just into my first mile and the third track is getting ready to start...The Grid (remixed by the Crystal Method).  I was looking forward to this one.  When I had listened to it previously I actually thought it would do well for a kickboxing class.  It has the steady thread of a beat that could time the required punches and kicks perfectly.  I kept running waiting for it to play through my ear buds.  I kept running and waited.  Nothing happened.  Nothing was playing.  I pulled the iPod out of my pocket and it had gone dark with the apple symbol showing.  Uh-oh, not good.  I got it going again, it played for 2 seconds and it happened again and then once more.  Great.  It wasn't syncing with my Nike+ sensor, so I opted for just music.  No go.  I had slowed down but I should have stopped running while doing this.  Then the music stopped again and when I reached for it this time I stubbed the toe of my shoe and did a trip up.  At least this time I knew I was falling and didn't go down hard.  But yeah, boom, left side of shin, sitting in dirt, get up, get up, get up now.  No damage, wipe the dirt of my leg, keep going but stuff the iPod in my pocket, pull the ear buds out and jam the wires into the same pocket.  I seemed to be huffin' and puffin' a bit much but I realized I was hearing myself.  Adjust, keep going. 
I did.  I took away the gadgets and listened to myself and ran.  After a bit I was breathing steady, I was running fine, felt good.  I wasn't thinking about what the sensor would tell me at the end of the workout when I was done because it didn't capture the workout.
It was actually a good thing.  I was paying attention to my run, not to the gadgets.  I knew the sensor would give out.  I have a new one I ordered a month ago since I knew the battery only lasts a year.  I will get it going again but will set it and stick in my pocket for a while.  I'm going to get back to some basics like listening to myself instead of the gadgets.  I know my routes and their distances.  It was four miles this time.  I will get out there and be present in the run again instead of mechanical distractions that might be fouling up my getting back on par with my actual running.  I can give myself the chance to remind myself the basic reasons I enjoy this so much.
So I got into a new soundtrack today.  It's called Listening to Myself (remixed by the Tessa Tumble).
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT