Tuesday, April 5, 2011

No recipe

Yesterday was Jay's Birthday.  Since it was a Monday and he is the only one scheduled to be off from work we celebrated on Sunday instead.  When asked what he wanted to have for dinner I was surprised when he said lasagna.  He doesn't ordinarily prefer Italian but he said this time it was what he wanted.  I immediately started calculating I could get a meat sauce going on Saturday and have it ready for Sunday afernoon to put everything together and then he said he would like to have some spinach lasagna.
"With white sauce?" I asked.
"Yes, you made it one time and it was really good."
"Okay.  I don't remember but I could do both."
"Do you want to go to all that trouble?"
I was thinking I wasn't sure about the spinach lasagna since I couldn't remember making it before so if it didn't work out at least I would have the regular.
"Yeah, I'll have the cheese and pasta already.  I'll make a smaller portion."
It was decided and I went for it.

It was decided both came out well.  I added some ground pork and a link of each mild and hot Italian sausage to the white sauce for the spinach lasagna.  And since it was a birthday, of course there was cake.  Jay likes white cake...with fruit.  So that is what I made.
It all seemed to turn out well. 
After coming home from work Monday afternoon Jay gave me some good advice.  I was tired and confessing my sins of needing to be better about watching what I had been eating, getting consistant with my exercise, write...  He told me to stop fretting about everything.  It's okay to have some downtime and to enjoy it.  We may not have all the time in the world but we should at least enjoy what is happening right now.  He is right, of course.  I enjoy all these things and right now it all should be enjoyed.  I guess wisdom might really come from age or is it from putting up with me for so long?   
Happy 60th Birthday, Jay.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT