Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Rhett, what will I do?

I got a note from the association that put on the half/marathon I ran last year.  They were reminding me it was time for spring training and that I should sign up for the race again.  Then I got an e-mail from the fitness center at work telling me they were in preparations to start the half and full marathon training at the end of June and they would be presenting lunch talks on running topics prior so hurry and sign up.  I am not sure what I am thinking about all this.
I guess the first thing that went through my head is that it is WAY too soon for me to be starting training.  I thought it was too long a training period last year and that was with taking a month off in the middle of it while I was sidelined with an injury.  I realize I only ran the half marathon (only - right) but since the beginning of this year I have been very far off my usual running game.  I am so far off I could honestly say I have no running game.  That would probably be the more accurate statement.
What am I thinking now that I am beginning to hear about the training?  I know I tried to keep running early on in January by running every last mile on a dreadmill (and being miserable) due to the weather.  I can't stand the cold so I took myself indoors.  Then I ran two 5K's in February and actually won two medals in my age group.  I didn't continue to train but ran a 10K in March.  I have been sporadic at best with my regular runs until recently I haven't run at all.
What am I doing or not doing and do I want to do it?  It doesn't seem that way.  I haven't been doing it.  And if that is the case then why do I think anything when I get these notes and e-mails?  Because I do think about it...like now.  Why haven't I been running?  Is it a slump or have I gotten tired or have I lost interest or am I needing to get going again but in a different way or location or group?
I want to say to these notes from the half/full marathon association and the fitness center training group at work that yes I want to be included.  That this year I will be going for the full marathon and not the half I did last year.  Something inside me wants to say that and do that.  But something else is telling me..."you ain't nowhere where you were at this time last year and your motivation is nowhere to be found, so don't be thinking 'bout this now."
Maybe I won't think about it right now.  Didn't Miss Scarlett in Gone with the Wind say, "I'll think about it tomorrow," and look how things turned out for her.
Oh..wait...now that I think about it.  That didn't really end well, did it?
TT

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do a full, and yes, it will take some work. You have a deeper
base this coming year from your accomplishments this past year.
Your choice.

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT