Saturday, April 16, 2011

Long list

My brain or the portion that retains memory is evaporating.  It might be normal age progression but truthfully I know it is being caused by the abundance of things that need to be done and that I have been doing for the recent past few weeks.  I am usually notoriously good about balancing a variety of tasks at the same time.  I may have my bumps and glitches when I have too many pots to stir at once but I've had a recent total lapse in brain power lately when it comes to keeping track of everything going on.
What happened?  I was going along my merry way without so much as a single thing on my list of to-do's.  I didn't even have a to-do list since there were so few things I needed to get done.  Now, all of a sudden I have tasks swooping down on me like hungry seagulls.  I'm flaying my arms over my head at them wondering where they came from and trying to ward them off.  But that won't stop them.  I need to actually do something...I need to get the tasks done.  It is starting to affect my memory on things that have nothing to do with the things to do.
One morning this week I had planned on taking my flash drive that has the copy of my book for me to view a piece of dialogue that had been running through my head during lunch.  I pulled the drive out of my home desk drawer and thought I had it with me.  When I got to work I searched my bag and it was nowhere to be found.  Did I lose it?  No.  When I got home later that day it was sitting nicely on the keyboard of my laptop at home.  I had simply left it there.
The following afternoon I was at home and got a call from Sonny.  They had locked themselves out of their house and knew I had an extra key.  Ahhg...I searched while on the phone.  I thought it was in my bag.  I thought it might be in another bag I had used recently and didn't transfer it.  I checked yet another bag and another...I didn't know where I had put the key!  I had to tell him I didn't have it.  He contacted his brother and got into the house (I think).
Then...yes...three instances...I left my cell phone at home.  I knew I left it at home but I couldn't remember where exactly.  I can usually pin-point where I have left objects.  I usually know exactly where something is.  I am the one Jay will ask..."where is such and such, I've looked everywhere"...and I will respond, "Did you look in that drawer" and voila!  there it will be. 
So something is up.  I finally made a list of these things to do.  They aren't even things that are too time consuming but they are all lingering and seem to be multiplying.  Trying to keep them all stored in my head was causing a disconnect somewhere in my brain.  Like I need that now with all the things I have going on.
It's a long list and I don't think I have everything on it yet.
Even with this list I hope I can remember how to get these things done before the rest of my brain evaporates. 
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT