Thursday, March 24, 2011

Stop procrastinating

It seems funny to me now how I had been procrastinating about continuing my chapter 8.  I had started it but was struggling.  I had set up the scene but my characters were just sitting there.  I started worrying about it because they were just staring at each other across a table.  I started to fumble and get nervous so I left it alone.  I kept thinking...why are they having such a hard time with each other!  This is where they should be going and what everything has led up to so far.  They are at the part they should be and now they clam up.  I didn't think they were going to do anything!  You understand I mean me, I wasn't able to do anything...it's all in my head, these characters and such.  (I know that, too...shhh!)
I finally reopened the document and put down the first thing the main character thought to say.  That was it.  That was the opening of chapter 8.  The opening of chapter 8 wasn't setting up the scene and having everything in place like I had written.  The main character had something on her mind but was waiting around for me to make sure the silverware was in place before she could say it.  I was making her hold her thought when I should have been letting her speak.  I finally did and I was able to work the setting in very easily afterward and the chapter got underway.
It gets so easy to get lost in the description to the point I wasn't letting the characters show me what they should be doing.  I was plugging along trying to make everything perfect for this conversation that was supposed to happen that I actually paused the conversation.  Then I had a hard time figuring out why.  I was blaming it on them and trying to figure out how I was going to get them going.
It seems funny now.  It's funny now to see myself looking back, procrastinating, getting nervous when I just needed to get out of my own way to get going.
I'll know next time to re-open that document again sooner.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT