Saturday, January 15, 2011

Wore what?

I will fess up now and get it over with.  I did an unthinkable thing.  I did something I never do and although I may have been almost, and I say almost truthfully, on the borders of having committed this offense in the recent past I have not actually done it until today.  I will admit to getting slightly, just slightly, under my personal guideline when it comes to this but not so much that it could be considered a real offense.  Today I did it.  I committed the absolute offense.  I am mortified with myself.
I went into a retail store in my gym clothes.
There it is.  I don't know what possessed me.  I don't know how I rationalized with myself that this would be okay.  I was on the way to the gym and I figured I could stop quickly, be in and out, and would have the item when I went home. Then I could save that time and get my other errands done after I showered and changed.  I am such a fool.  I cannot believe I talked myself into it. 
The minute I stepped out of the car and into the parking lot of the store I had this sinking feeling.  Instead of using my head and getting back into the car I continued to walk through the automatic doors of the store and entered.  I thought if I went directly to what I needed I could save face by making my purchase, quickly fast-step it back to my car and head to the gym.  No one would be the wiser.
That didn't happen.  Of course it didn't happen.  You don't glide through the doors of any store in these poor retail times without someone greeting you.  And I was greeted.  And I wanted to use my cloaking device but it isn't installed in gym clothes!  That is why I'm not supposed to wear them anywhere except the gym!
What was I thinking.  Now I not only had a sinking feeling but I had to mask the look of utter guilt that spread across my face and pretend I was fine and say hello.  So I think I managed to bring the ends of my lips up, said hello quickly, and kept going using my large bag to...what?  It wasn't that large.  It couldn't camouflage the fact that I wasn't dressed  for anything other than going to the gym!  So I zero'd in, picked up what I needed, and made it through the check-out without any delay or anyone behind me.  Whew!  Then I was out the door and racing to my car.  I clicked the lock, pulled the door open and threw myself into the drivers seat.  Whew!  I sat a moment and pondered the mistake I had made.  It just wasn't worth the scant amount of time I might have saved.  What a terrible chance I had taken.  I know better.  I could have bumped into...I could have met...I could have seen someone...gads...was I lucky.  Never again.
The good part of the story is that I burned off all that mortification with a good run afterward at the gym where I was surrounded with like dressed people.  And now that I'm all cleaned up and dressed properly, I am thinking of making a visit to another retail store to buy some newer, proper clothing.  I mean, I need to put this traumatic experience behind me, right?  What better way to correct this experience than to make sure I have the necessary supplies so it never happens again.
Long runs and retail therapy.  Why not?  I already fessed up.  I'm already pressed, dressed, and ready for any greeter that comes along.
I wish I didn't always have to learn my lessons the hard way.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT