Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dead king

It was after a busy Monday at work.  I came straight home and tried not to feel too guilty about not going to the gym.  It was Jay's day off so he had already started dinner and I plopped down at the kitchen table not even changing out of my work clothes.  He took one look at me, opened a beer and handed it to me.
I took it but thought...oh, great.  No workout, now a beer.  I am sliding downhill fast and it's only the beginning of the week.
I don't normally drink during the week, I don't normally miss a planned work out day.  Well, maybe I do both occasionally but I always give myself an ample amount of brain lashing when I do.  I was voicing this very thing out loud...I should have gone to the gym, I shouldn't be drinking this beer...I know it's not that big...
"Stop," said Jay.
"I'm only saying..."
"Don't speak.  Stop speaking."
There is nothing like being stopped mid-sentence.  Granted, I understand the reasons for being stopped.  It isn't as if I haven't voiced these guilt-laden concerns of mine before.  But still.
I attempted to explain, "I was only going to say..."
"No more."  Jay was grinning.  I knew he was just trying to push but also trying to joke about it too.  Okay, alright, I thought...
I said, "Hey, you're not the boss of me."
"Hey, you're not the boss of me," he mimicked.
Okay, I needed another one so I said..."Who died and made you king?"
Jay stopped and asked, "How does that happen."
I explained matter-of-factly, "Someone has to die."
"Who.  Who has to die."
"The former king."
He waited just a minute.  What was I reading in his eyes?  Triumph?  Then he said, "Then we all know who died."
I stopped.  I took it in, who died and made you...and then I laughed.  I laughed out loud and hard.  Then he started laughing.  I don't even know what prompted us to laugh so hard.  It was totally ridiculous.  I can't even blame the beer because I only had a total of two-three sips.
Jay scored on that one for sure.  He stopped me from speaking.  He got me to laughing...then he called Dante to tell him to come pick up the cake I baked yesterday.
Hey wait.  Is this another tactic so he doesn't have to hear me talk?  Is it so he can avoid hearing how I shouldn't be eating so much cake tomorrow.  Is he helping me or saving himself?  Hmmm.
I guess I can't blame him.  And, now that I think about it, that saying does seem a little obvious.  Who else would had to have died for someone else to become king but the king? 
Oh, enough with the dead kings already.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT