Monday, January 24, 2011

Speeding

I believe I drank way too much coffee yesterday.  The problem was I didn't realize it until late in the afternoon when I was having a cup of hot tea to try to get myself to relax. 
The morning started out with me waking and pondering run routes in my neighborhood.  I knew it was way too cold for me to get up and have a run outdoors but it didn't stop me from plotting routes.  I kept thinking that if I ran down the main street until I ran out of sidewalk that it is 2 1/2 miles.  I can't go on from there because the shoulder on that connecting road is too narrow and there would be too much traffic at that hour so if I turned back at the end of the sidewalk that would be 5 miles.  Then if I went one more block and turned right I could get another mile stretch in and then turn up my connecting street for another mile...
It went like that.  I was already moving without actually getting up yet knowing it was too cold for me attempt it outside.  So I got up and made a pot of coffee.  And then I proceeded to drink it.  All.
I went upstairs and started writing.  Not here.  Not on this blog.  The other project.  The story, the book, the novel.  The frilly, little cast of characters I have moving around in my head when I'm not plotting routes to run in my neighborhood.  I lost track of more time doing this again but I am finding that it doesn't feel bad.  It has felt really good and exciting.  It's sort of like when I first started having some really good long runs.  
But then I did pull away, got to a stopping point (not really...wanted to go on but I stopped) and did other things.  And more other things.  It was one of those days I would do something and then see something else to do so I would do that.  Then do something else.  And it kept on even though I knew I should stop or slow down.  So late in the afternoon I made some hot tea.  Calming tea.  You know the kind that has even more caffeine than coffee! 
Half way through my cup of tea is when I realized I needed to dump it.  It was late Sunday afternoon so why not...I grabbed a beer.  And then I thought of another thing that might work to keep me still.  I polished my fingernails.  You see, you can't do anything when your fingernails are wet.  You have to be still and not smudge them or you have to take if off and start over.  And then I needed a few coats so there is more drying time involved, which means more time to keep still.  So I sat, drank a beer, and polished my fingernails.  Did you know that was the antedote for too much caffeine?  It seemed to work for me.
Or did it?

.

Then I baked a cake.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT