Wednesday, January 26, 2011

White lined pages

I have a few index card strewn across my desk.  I have a 1/2" three ring binder open where I have handwritten notes in pencil across white lined pages.
I was going over where I had mapped out ideas and story lines and chapter synopsis when I realized something I thought I would cover in chapter two never happened yet.  I saw where I notated to move it to chapter three then chapter four but I don't think I've written it in yet.
That's the problem.  I don't think I have and I should.  It's not big, huge, but it needs to go in and soon.
So I am happy with my book progress but I am re-grouping again.  Hopefully, quickly.
I am going to scan read through from the beginning to jot down on a fresh, clean, white lined piece of paper what I have actually covered in each chapter so far. 
I don't want to hear it, I will not listen, so sorry no.  I can faintly hear traces of what everyone kept saying before...don't go back to read, just keep going, just keep writing.  No.
I am beginning to have that feeling of the story getting away from me.  I know I will write a character into a dead end.  Then I will have to pull a rabbit out of a hat to fix it and as entertaining as that might be it will have nothing to do with the story and the character will still be at a dead end.  So no.  I am doing this my way this time.  I am making my own rules and it's okay! 
It is okay. 
It worked when I originally spread out all my notes and played them like solitaire on my bedspread.  It helped me come up with a stronger idea and threads within the story.  I got more accomplished since the first week in January than I had in months last year.  I have been excited and losing moments caught up in my writing. I left a cup of coffee go cold I was so busy into it!  That has to speak for something.
I wish I could keep going from where I am but I just can't seem to play nice about this.  My way this time.  I need to put that tiny piece in that isn't there and I need to know exactly where my characters have taken me.  I know they will give me more ideas that aren't scribbled in pencil in my own handwriting on white lined pages.  So I need to go back and mark them down as I go.
And I will.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT