Saturday, January 29, 2011

Small donation

I just got back from donating blood.  I got a call earlier in the week from the local blood bank saying they needed my blood type and if I would be willing to go down to their office to give some blood.  I have donated at work before and don't have a problem with needles or blood or veins.  I told them yes.
I asked for the closest location and times they were open.  She gave me an appointment and then went into an explanation about another procedure that doesn't take the blood but there are tubes that recycles it back to you but takes red blood or something or other.  I wasn't getting the drift of the entire procedure but I'm not squeamish and I told her that would be fine.
She went on to say for that procedure (whatever it was - I don't know) there was a requirement.  Oh, okay...what is it?
You have to be 5'5" and at least 150 lbs.
I had to laugh.  I told her I couldn't do it.  I didn't think I could put on that much weight in less than a week.  I didn't reach 150 when I was pregnant (yes, that was many years ago).  And then I would have to wear some killer platform shoes to get to that height.  I am not even considered a jumbo prawn...or much more than a cocktail shrimp...or maybe a popcorn shrimp, lightly breaded.
She assured me the regular blood donation would be fine and now I've just gotten back from the appointment.  I was able to pass the iron level requirement (it's 38 and I had a 39)! and it went very smoothly.  I was told no heavy lifting and no strenuous exertion, caffeine and alcohol should be avoided and to ease out of the chair slowly, no jumping.
I had to ask her to verify that.  "No jumping?"  She laughed at me but I thought...did I look like I was going to jump out of the chair?  Or was it that it was a big chair and she knew my feet didn't reach the floor (told 'ya I was a shrimp).  So I did what she said for at least as long as she could see me.
I'm back home now and finally having my first cup of coffee.  I guess I'll take it easy for a minute or two to see how I feel.  Then it's the rest of my Saturday.
Don't worry - I won't overdo the coffee. 
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT