Saturday, February 13, 2010

Sounds pathetic

"So what do you do for laughs?"
"I don't know...I read a lot and I jog."
She looked at me, waiting for the punch line.  "That's it?  You read a lot and you jog?"
I laughed.  "It does sound pathetic when you think of it."
Excerpt from R is for Ricochet by Sue Grafton

Does it?
I read that just now before I was going out, wait for it, here it comes, wait...yes...I read that right now before I was going out for a jog.
I'm not sure if it says it all or not enough.  Isn't it strangely disconcerting when fiction starts to get too close to reality?  It certainly is disconcerting to me when it turns out to be so close to my reality.  
I think if anyone asked me what I did in my free time I would have to say I read a lot and I run on a fairly consistent basis.  They could very easily say, that's it?
I can hear them saying it.  That's it?
I guess at that point I would have to shrug my shoulders and say yep.  I would probably just resign myself and repeat, "yep, that's it."
Oh course, unbeknownst to them I might get mildly defensive.  To myself I might be saying, "well, yeah...but don't I actually read quite a few books?  and how many miles or times do I run in a week?" 
But who cares?  No one really, except me.
If they think that's all I do they certainly won't be thinking about me or what I do for more than a few minutes. 
But it certainly was an odd coincidence for me to come across that short bit of dialogue from the book I am currently reading.  It couldn't have used two things that are more dominate in what I do.  It was enough of a coincidence that I stopped reading to write this up and post before I went out for my jog.
Oh, yeah, I forgot...I do sometimes write, too.

No, no...you WILL not believe this.  From my upstairs window I can see the FedEx truck.  It can't be...I just ordered these yesterday morning.  Wait, hold on while I run down and check.
Yes.  It is the cookie tins I ordered.
More coincidences? 

So it goes like this.  "Oh, yeah, I read a lot and I jog.  I do sometimes write.  But then I also bake cookies."
I don't know...does that still sound pathetic?
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT