Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Being prepared

I am making myself notes on index cards again. I am finding myself in the middle of something and have an immediate need to scribble on an index card. I wrote all over the one and only one I could find on my nightstand yesterday. It was a mad and furious rush of things that needed to get jotted down. And they needed to get jotted down immediately. I filled both sides, drew slanted lines to separate thoughts and cleared another empty space to write more. It was a frenzied moment and it has calmed since then so no need to worry if you were.
I know I will need to keep a small supply on the nightstand, in my purse, on my desk, in my pocket.
I never know when the furious desire to write myself notes will strike again or if at all. I only know I need to be prepared. This one instance is usually a beginning after such a dry spell I’ve had lately. This one happenstance is usually followed by at least a few more. Idea generates idea which causes more and more index cards to be scrawled upon.
It is a wonderful thing when that happens. I’ve spent a little time organizing the thoughts scribbled down and that again serves as another form of getting the ideas fresh and straight in my head. The cards are just a holding spot until I can do that. But I have found that if I don’t put them first on the card, they are never thought of again. I get to a place where I am ready to work and I sit and ponder and wonder and tell myself…I thought I had an idea, now what exactly was it? It usually never comes to mind again. It is gone that quickly if not doodled down on the available card.
So I am now stocked and ready. And no, I didn’t forget to stash the required pencil along with the cards. That could hold me up worse than not having a card.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT