Friday, January 22, 2010

Word day

How about a word for the day? Are you up for it? I don’t think I am really up for it but this is all I got after a tough day yesterday.
I know, I gave myself a break…didn’t run, didn’t write (well – I wrote a little) but let’s face it, I took a day off because I was getting exhausted.
So all that being said I think I have no choice but to use my fall back 365 new words-a-year calendar. And the word for today, Friday, January 22, 2010 is:  Revenant.
Yes, you heard correctly and it is spelled right. The word for today is revenant. It is a noun that means: one that returns after death or a long absence. I don’t know a longer absence than death but I don’t write the words or the definitions.
I had to think on this word for a moment because when I saw it I had to check it twice. It is not the word relevant. Everyone has heard of and knows the word relevant so when I read the word revenant I could only think of a five year old mispronouncing the word. I think they would say revenant much the same way they would say effanent, for elephant of course.
Can you hear a small child saying…revenant?... the way they would say effanent? Maybe it is just me but I can sure hear it that way. I don’t know I would want to use the word if I were to be heard by others coming across as a small child mispronouncing words.
Someone might have the desire to take me off to a local zoo to point out the effanents and make me say it correctly after them. “See, there, the big gray E l e p h a n t. Say it again, E l e phant. Yes,” nodding vigorously.
At that point I would be able to stare at them glaringly and say, “You’re kidding me, right?”
At that point I would wish I was a revenant that decided against returning at all.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT