Friday, January 15, 2010

Todays word

My word for today is fervid. Yes, on my 365 new words-a-year calendar the word for January 15th is fervid. It’s an adjective and can mean very hot: burning or marked by often extreme intensity of feeling. I kind of like this word.
I could use some of the very hot that it is talking about for my weather. I know I wouldn’t have a problem with the temperatures taking a turn in that direction. This past week certainly hasn’t been the extremely incapacitating low degrees of last week but I could use some warmer fare.
I am liking the meaning of fervid but I think I like the sound of yesterday’s word better. That word was quaggy.
Don’t you like that sound? It sounds like what it means…marshy, flabby…quaggy. It comes from quagmire, which is a patch of wet land that feels soft underfoot.
Don’t you hate it when you step into that? You think you’ve got some solid footing and you manage to slowly ooze your way through whatever section of pathway you need to make your way through. There usually isn’t another course you could take or you have already stepped right into it before you can avoid the seeping reek that permeates your shoes. All of that sopping wet that creeps into the layers of sole and sock leaving you destined to be inelegant and ill at east the rest of the day.
So wait, maybe I like this word more. It gives it to you straight up. You don’t have to figure out what it means because it so obviously sounds like what it is.

I think I could become a fervid fan of the word quaggy.
Good words…I will have to remember to use them somewhere.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT