Saturday, January 9, 2010

Lotsa new words

I had a small package I had ordered in the mail yesterday when I came home. It was one of those 365 New Words-a-Year Calendars. You know the ones. They are the small desk calendars that have a new word and definition for each day of the year. It also uses the word in a sentence like you had to do in grade school. I knew I needed a calendar for my desk and thought this might be a good idea.
I had actually gone out to some local stores to find it but they didn’t carry it in the store. I finally went on-line and searched away and finally located it. I was a little paranoid about delivery since there didn’t seem to be any tracking system and the delivery dates were promised anywhere from 1/8 through 1/26. I was thinking I could miss almost an entire month of new words!
But as I said, it arrived yesterday and I unwrapped and scanned hurriedly through the days and words I missed.
I got the idea to get the calendar from two different series of books I have read. I found it interesting that two characters in two very different kinds of books written by two different authors stated at some point in one or more of these books that they were using their word of the day.
These two separate characters were talking about a word they had seen on their calendar that they were making a point of using in an instance during the things that were happening to them in their stories.
I didn’t think anything the first time it happened but then when it happened again I thought it kind of interesting. I am not sure why. Then I had to have one. I am not sure why to that either. I am going to make a stab at it here but I guess, maybe, I felt I had to keep up with the status quo of fictional characters? (But Mom…everyone has one! You know how Mom’s respond to that sort of thing – well, mine anyway – If everyone is jumping off a cliff are you going to do it too? I always wanted to tell her I didn’t think I had enough information to answer that…but never did).
What was I talking about? Oh…I am not sure why I thought I needed one.
But I have it now and can use it when I am topic-less or when I need an inspiration for an idea. Suddenly there will be a deluge of new words, meanings and sentences right here. Isn’t that exciting?
Just nod your head. I know.  About as exciting as jumping off a cliff.
But my cliffs have always been kind of interesting.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT