Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Got any idea?

I tried to write about how I needed an idea. I’ve been sitting here putting words on a page that could possibly be worked into a topic if I actually had an idea to write about. The problem seems to be I don’t and can’t think up a topic. I am topic-less.
I feel very strange since for once in a very long time I feel like there is nothing in my brain except a huge expanse of nothing. There seems to be nothing there except for a lot of …well, a lot of room.
There seems to be a lot of room that should be occupied with topics or ideas. Where did they all go? Who cleaned out the place? How could they have left me without a trace of anything? I don’t seem to have a speck of anything left to even make something out of.
The problem with not having an idea when you want one is they seem to become more elusive the harder you try to find one. It is even harder to start looking when there doesn’t seem to be anywhere to look. You can’t exactly open and search through drawers when the dresser is missing. You can’t pull and throw things out of a closet that has already been emptied. You can’t look under piles of papers that aren’t there. So what do you do?
You take a deep breath and turn yourself slowly around and scan the empty places. You need to do it quietly and calmly. The topics will flee the very minute you start showing any signs of anxiety or agitation. It is best you stay calm and not think for one minute that it will stay that way. It won’t. All the wonderful clutter will find its way and move right back in.
The best part of being topic-less is realizing what an enormous opportunity there is to re-populate. I mean, come on…you know what always happens with empty spaces, don’t you? Of course, you do!

They always get filled.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT