Sunday, November 13, 2011

Half and Half makes Full?

This Sunday is exactly a year from the date I ran my first official half marathon.  I trained, stressed and completed a personal challenge I wouldn't have thought I could do when I started out.  Last year I worked very hard, over many months, to get to that day last year and accomplish what I was able to accomplish.  It's been exactly a year. 
This year started out and I didn't know if I wanted to spend the time training.  I thought I would put the decision off and just run and not worry about training and if I changed my mind about training and enter the race I would.  I never changed my mind.  It was my decision to not register for the race and I stuck to that decision.   I didn't register, I didn't train, but I kept running.  Last Sunday - one week ago - I went out for a morning run in my neigborhood and instead of the 4 miles I had set on my workout sensor I completed a half marathon.  I ran 13.1 miles last Sunday.  I felt good.  I felt as if I had completed the same task as I had last year - my way.  Then, somehow during the past week I was able to let the good feelings of accomplishing this personal goal get away from me.  I had many people ask if I was running the half marathon scheduled for today.  I explained no, I had made the decision not to train.  They seemed surprised, since they knew I have been running and since I had done it last year.  It was a natural reaction, I guess.  But more and more people asked and as the week went on, I was beginning to feel as if I was, somehow, letting everyone that asked down by not running the official race.  I was losing that great feeling of accomplishment I had even though I had actually run the distance already.  Finally, by the end of the week, I was feeling pretty low and knew I had to cut it out.  I was finally able to realize that it wasn't the case.  I was thinking too hard.  If I had registered for the race I would have been doing it for them and not for me.  What would be the point in that?  So I let it go and didn't think about any more.  It would be fine.
This morning I awoke early and realized I had left my upstairs window open.  The weather outside was wonderful!  I thought, I'm going out and run a 10K - 6.2 miles.  I geared up, set my workout sensor and started my run and it was fine.
You know how this goes, don't you?  I didn't stop at a 10K.  I didn't stop at 10 miles.  I ran the distance of another half marathon (two Sundays in a row) - 13.1 miles.  I had to.  Think of all the people I might have let down.  But no.  It wasn't about them at all.  I didn't give them a thought at all.  It was about me and what I felt I could accomplish.  It felt good and this week if anyone even asks if I ran the race I guess I'll say no but I ran the distance - twice.  And for those who might be interested in the times...since some people think that is important...  My first official half marathon time last year was 2:28:18.  Last Sunday (and please realize my sensor isn't completely accurate) my time for an unoffical half marathon was 2:29:57.  Today, a week later, my half marathon time was 2:25:53.  Go figure.  I think it might have been because today I didn't stop to shake the pebbles out of my shoes the way I had to do last week.  I feel pretty good.  This time I don't think the feeling can be shaken.  I did it.  Again.
I guess my next question is...
Does running two half marathon one week apart count as running a full marathon?  Nah - doesn't.  But it sure feels pretty good just the same!
TT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you go out and run 13.1 just cause,then, again, you really are headed
down the distance path even farther than you ever even dreamed possible.
You actually are ready to run 26.2 now. Rock On!

Chetta said...

Thanks for the encouraging words! Who needs streets lined with supporters when you get something personal like this! Graci
TT

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT