Saturday, March 10, 2012

Can't believe it

I just realized I have been away from my computer for the past couple of days.  I didn't think it had been that long but I noticed the last post I have was from Wednesday afternoon.  Today is Saturday and I don't think I've stopped working since then.  An incredible thing happened Thursday afternoon that set all of this in motion.  It turns out I got a phone call for a cookie order that needs to be delivered this coming Monday morning.  I have been baking cookies the past two days. 
I need to stop.  I need to take a break.  I've been exceptionally good about cleaning up my mess as I have gone along but right now my kitchen has about every bit of counter space filled with baking cookery that needs to be washed, dried, and put away.  The counters need to be wiped down and the floor needs to be swept and mopped.  I'll get to that in a moment.  I'll have it all ship-shape and shiny real soon.  Just not right now.  I need to take a break.
If it wasn't such the cold, rainy, dark (evening type dark- really) at 2:30 in the afternoon I might be able to enjoy what I have accomplished in the past two days (non-stop).  Jay and I cancelled our trip out of town and I didn't run my 10K this morning due to all this cold, rainy, dark that was going to be where we were going and is also now here right at home.  The trip cancellation was a good decision not just because of the weather but because of all this baking I have spent my time doing instead.
It turns out this phone call I got on Thursday was for a cookie order of 60 dozen cookies!  Yes.  That's right - sixty dozen!  That is an enormous amount of cookies (for me) but believe it or not I am just about done baking.  I only have about 4 dozen left to bake and, sure enough, I ran out of shortening.  I ran out of flour this morning and went out and got that but didn't realize I was short on shortening. What can I say?  I've never baked 60 dozen cookies at one time before.  So I will finish tomorrow with the weather the way it is today.  And I'll take a little break.  Then I will clean up the kitchen.
Oh heck.  I'll clean up the kitchen now and feel better about it being clean and then I can take an even better break.  Except that I will be thinking about the last few dozen cookies that need to be baked.  And I should give everything another count.  Maybe I should count first and then bake, well, after I get more shortening but that will wait until after...
Can you believe 60 dozen cookies?
TT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marathon baking vs running in crappy weather, perfect for a weekend like this, maybe someday you'll have a BIG OVEN and cut the time down to four hours....freeze the little assets you make off this for another rainy day.

Chetta said...

I am absolutely freezing these assets! And it was definitely a better day to stay in and bake, then to go out and run.
TT

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT