Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Wasn't it magic beans?

It was more than a week ago.  I can tell you it was Friday, June 10th at approximately 7:20am.  I had arrived at my desk not twenty minutes before and was already reaching for my iPod nano 5th generation.  I was reaching for my music.  It had been a tough week, it was a Friday morning, and I was already reaching to escape with my tunes to get through this last day of the week.
That is when I realized it wasn't working.  Okay, my iPod probably needed a charge and I knew someone at work that kept a charger at their desk.  I went over and plugged it in.  Nothing.  I waited.  Nothing.  It wouldn't take a charge.  No Apple logo appeared to let me know it was going to work.  Nothing.  It basically was displaying the blue screen of death except it's an Apple product and it doesn't go blue...it just doesn't.  Nothing.  Darkness all around.
Noooohoohooo!
Yes.  I knew it.  It wasn't going to work any longer.  I tried to find out what might have caused the meltdown (not mine - the device).  I searched some forums and found on a running site that moisture can certainly stop the music.  I run with this in my pocket all the time.  When I run I get drenched.  I knew what I had done.  I had killed it with my sweat.
Now what?  I searched Apple products.  I found a new version iPod nano 6th generation.  It was tiny.  It didn't have some of the options the model I owned had (like a video camera) but I never used that.  I use it for...let me see...music and my Nike+ running application.  I ordered it right after lunch on Friday.  I figured I could wait the week for delivery and not pay the extra shipping.  The estimated delivery date was Saturday, June 18th.  It didn't arrive on Saturday. 
On Sunday, we went to Sonny's house and he asked me if I had put my burned out iPod into a bag of rice like he told me.  We had talked on the phone the day before and he had mentioned this idea.  I knew my iPod 5th was gone but I thought I would keep his advise in mind as a preventative for the new that had yet to be delivered.  I told him on Sunday I hadn't done as he said and he explained it wasn't a preventative - it was a remedy.  He grabbed a baggy out of his pantry, put some uncooked rice in it and demanded by iPod 5th.  I, of course, handed it over and he dropped it into the baggy of rice.  I put it into my purse and didn't think about it until the next day. Then Monday morning at work I pulled it out of my purse.  I had my charger with me and thought...why not...plug it in and give it a try.  I was fully expecting it to stay as dead as it had been before.
But I was wrong!  The rice seems to have worked on my iPod!  It wasn't a minute before I got the Apple logo!!!  One night in a bag of rice and instant iPod!  It sucked out all the killer sweat from the device and brought it back to life.
Meanwhile, no delivery of the new iPod nano 6th generation.  Until this afternoon.  Estimated delivery date, Saturday, June 18th.  Actual delivery date, Tuesday, June 21st.  It was late, but I got it. 
It had been stated to me...It's tiny, but is it waterproof?  Ahhh, no.
But now I have a magic bag of rice.  (And two iPods)!


TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT