Monday, June 20, 2011

Officially

I have officially started Chapter 10 of my fiction.  It doesn't sound like much but that means I am progressing.  I realize most books have double and sometimes triple that amount of chapters but I also haven't really been able to figure out how many pages or words make a chapter.  It was easier for me to try and hit somewhere around 5000 words for a chapter.  I haven't always hit that amount for what I have so far but it sounded like a good round number at the time I was coming up with an idea of what made a chapter. 
I'm sure when I am finished (I WILL finish) I will dissect these into different stopping and starting points which will change the number of chapters but that will be later.  I can't stop to do that now.
If I had to give a run down of what I have in each chapter it would read something like this:
Chapter 1  5868 words
Chapter 2  5006
Chapter 3  5354
Chapter 4  4297
Chapter 5  3597
Chapter 6  2370
Chapter 7  4984
Chapter 8  5605
Chapter 9  5106
That makes a total of:  42187 words.
I am shooting for 65,000 - 70,000 words or so.  That's just a guess too, so I will see how that goes.
So why all the concentration on word counts?  I could probably give you as many different reasons as I have words in each chapter.  It's just another measure of what I've done, I guess.  It's another way to be able to say I only have a third of the way still to go...almost there.
It's best I focus on it this way.  When I am finished and reached the end of my word counts - then I can think about the whole story.  It isn't a whole story yet and if I try and think that way I might not go on and I can't, won't stop now.  Everyone told me to write the whole story first...keep going...don't go back.  Word counts help keep me going when I want to stop and fix and stall.  They keep pushing me forward.  Only 27813 words to go.  That's only a little over 5 1/2 chapters left to finish.
So Chapter 10 has been officially started.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT