Thursday, June 30, 2011

Make someone's day

I wasn't going to post today.  I've gone over my quota of posts in a month but yesterday I got a great e-mail from my daughter-in-law, Selma.  I could tell from the note how excited and special it was and I can't resist, as she said, paying it forward in any way, shape or form I can.  That is what we are supposed to do, right?  Isn't it these exciting, special and yet simple things we do that can make the difference in a day for someone?  It did for her and then for me and hopefully for dear people wherever they might be.
So Sonny and Selma were on their way to work and made their usual drive-thru at Starbucks.  They pulled up to the window and were handed a receipt saying the lady in the car ahead of them had paid for their order.  They didn't know her, she was a stranger, and they were surprised but as Selma said, it really made her morning!  She sent out her note and I responded to her about how cool that was and I would need to do that soon.  Selma sent me another note and told me it reminded her of my penny flip.
My penny flip.  Yes.  You know the old saying, "See a penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck?"  I was told a good while back that if the penny is heads up you will have good luck, but what if it is tails up?  You flip the penny over from tails to head and leave it for the next person to pick it up to get the good luck.  Now I'm not sure about the luck factor but the entire idea of leaving something for someone else to experience that simple feeling of, it made my morning, is worth it.  I have tried to flip every penny I've seen that is tails up to heads whenever I can since I was told this.  I have seen people watch me bend down to turn a penny and walk away.  I'm sure they have wondered what was wrong with me but it never mattered to me.  I always get such a good feeling when I do it anymore that I can't stop.  I seem to have become a penny flipping magnet.  I wrote about it ages ago right here.  It was during a race and I couldn't stop.  I've seen more pennies as I've run and, yes, I will stop and turn them over if they are tails up.
I will pay for the person behind me the next time I drive-through somewhere.  What an easy way to make someone's day.  And pennies...I've been flipping those, well, since even before this particular race.  Follow that link to read the true story.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT